Pumpkin Spice Milkshake
Pumpkin Spice Milkshake for the win, ya'll!!! I was writing a paper on Saturday night. Oh yes, the drudgery. The deadline was midnight on Saturday and SaturDAY got the best of me. Sigh. Apparently going to the butcher, slow cooking a pork shoulder and making PUMPKIN SPICE MILKSHAKES was more exciting to me. As I was researching my topic, I was hankering for something sweet—just a little treat. I was thinking I would have a few dates stuffed with coconut butter, definitely a favorite of mine. When I went to get the coconut butter, I noticed that it was hard—coconut butter and coconut oil harden at anything below room temperature. I filled up a bowl with hot water and stuck my jar of coconut butter in the hot water to help liquify it; this usually takes a solid five minutes or so. While I was waiting, I glanced into the fridge and noticed I had an open can of pumpkin puree that definitely needed to be used. Next, I saw my jar of coconut milk. The rest was history, really. I had already figured out a fantastic AIP pumpkin pie spice blend that does not include nutmeg (nutmeg is a seed spice and I am not doing seeds right now.) I combined pumpkin puree, coconut milk, AIP pumpkin pie spice, a pinch of sea salt, maple syrup, collagen, coconut butter, ice and viola!
Pumpkin Spice Milkshake
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 4 ice cubes
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground clove
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon collagen
- Open the can of full fat coconut milk and pour the contents of the can into a mason jar and put the lid on. Shake the jar to combine the coconut cream and the water so that it becomes a silky coconut milk. Do not use light coconut milk or boxed coconut milk for this—it will result in a different texture and may not be similar to a milkshake.
- Combine pumpkin puree, coconut milk, spices, a pinch of salt, maple syrup and 4 ice cubes into a blender. I used a magic bullet and it worked beautifully. Blend until smooth.
- Once ingredients are blended, add 1 tablespoon melted coconut butter and 1 tablespoon collagen and give it another quick whiz (5-10 seconds) just so it combines.
- Garnish with an additional mini pinch of coarse sea salt, clove and cinnamon—just so it looks pretty! Enjoy!