Blueberry Chicken Salad
Last week I met up with my beautiful friend Marylynn to go blueberry picking on Sauvie Island, which is a cute little island outside of Portland with loads of farms and an epic beach on the Colombia River. Berry picking is one of my favorite summer activities—I have such wonderful memories picking ollalieberries during the summer with my oldest sister Lily and then heading home to make sweet pies. Now, I take any opportunity to pick berries with friends during the warmer months. We arrived at the organic berry farm, Bella Organic, and suspected we'd be picking strawberries but were delighted to find that the first day of blueberry season that day. Blueberries are my favorite berry at the moment so I was super happy. As we combed long rows of blueberry trees for ripe fruit we chatted, laughed, got a large dose of vitamin d and munched on 'taste-test' berries—hehe. When I got home, despite having a belly full of 'bluebs' I was starving for some real sustenance. I had a blueberry galette in mind, but didn't have the patience, so I decided to whip up a blueberry chicken salad with some of the shredded chicken I had pre-made for a cold summer dinner instead. I was inspired by the classic grape-chicken salad combo and just swapped grapes for blueberries. I was very happy with the result and hope you like this recipe as much as I did. The next day I brought it on a picnic with other friends and served it with a side of greens, pickled beets and peaches. It was divine. With nearly five more pounds of Oregon blueberries left in the freezer, there's sure to be a few more blueberry recipes coming at you soon...
- 4 cups shredded chicken ([url undefined]see recipe for slow-cooker chicken here[/url])
- 1.5 cups organic blueberries
- 1 cup avo-mayo (see below)
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- Butter lettuce
- 2/3 cup mashed avocado
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Start by making avo-mayo. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Combine all ingredients for chicken salad in large bowl and toss with 1 cup avo-mayo. Serve over or in butter lettuce leaves!